Senior Full-Stack Engineer – Ruby on Rails
(Remote, South Africa)
Glucode is a company that specializes in designing and developing apps for various businesses worldwide. We help our clients create globally competitive apps across different sectors, such as finance, insurance, health, transport, and entertainment.
We are a diverse team of dreamers, creators, and problem solvers who believe in making the world a better place through technology. We collaborate with our clients and teams to solve problems in the best possible way and uphold our core values of: curiosity, courage, integrity, quality, and passion. Our mission is to be the best mobile partner for companies and work with those whose values align with our own to create beautifully designed, meaningful, easy to use, mobile apps that make a real impact in the world.
About The Job
As a Full-Stack Rails Engineer, you will work on exciting SaaS products. You’ll join our in-house product development team to ideate and iterate on product ideas that will drive the next chapter of Glucode. You will be working on products on a rotational basis, involving backend and frontend development, QA, and DevOps.
- Design and build clean efficient code.
- Refactor and optimize code.
- Investigate and troubleshoot issues.
- Build and maintain databases.
- Integrate multiple data sources and databases into one system.
- Measure and improve system or application performance and scalability.
- Integrate server-side logic for the front end.
- Participate in development life cycle tasks such as task estimation and sprint planning.
- Implement automated testing platforms and unit tests.
- Collaborate with project managers, front-end developers, designers and other stakeholders across each stage of project life cycle.
- Mentor and help grow lesser experienced developers.
- Drive and grow the engineering team through engagement and input on initiatives and events.
- Lead teams technically and be seen as an expert on the platform.
Core Tech stack
Backend: Ruby on Rails
Frontend: TailwindCSS / Hotwire
CI: Github Actions
At Glucode, we value individuals with a self-starter mentality. We believe that taking initiative is crucial for achieving excellence. While we encourage collaboration, we also honour those who can work independently and provide flexibility and responsibility to get the job done right.
Required Skills and Attributes
- Tertiary qualification in Computer Science, Engineering, or a related field, or equivalent experience.
- Experience with building Rails apps.
- Passion for building products that people love.
- Curious about the technology and tools.
- You exercise critical thinking.
- You have a good grasp of information security.
- Good at verbal and written English.
- You love to improve the quality of the codebases.
- You like to mentor other developers.
- You like to collaborate and engage with other people.
- Remuneration: Salary of R50 000 – R90 000 monthly (ZAR), based on your skills, qualifications and experience
- Group Medical Aid contribution
- Group Life Insurance benefit
- Apple computer: to seamlessly conduct your work
- Fitness Watch Gift
- Home Office Allowance
- Monthly Cell phone/Data Allowance
- Personal Device Insurance
- We have won a design award for our beautiful office space and the ‘best place to work’ award.
- Work on leading and award-winning projects both locally and internationally.
- Frequently engage and collaborate with our leaders and leadership teams.
- Directly engage with clients and team members of various skill levels across disciplines.
- Have influence on a diversity of projects.
- Work on meaningful problems that make the world a better place.
- Be in control of your growth with our Growth track framework.
- Work with a wide range of exciting technologies.
- We value community and fun with a year-end bash and frequent team outings.
How To Apply
Simply click on the “Apply” button. We value your unique skills and qualities, and to better understand you, we’ve prepared a few short questions. Take a moment to provide thoughtful responses; we look forward to connecting with you soon.
Senior Full-Stack Engineer
We are a company of dreamers, creators, and problem solvers who love to tinker with technology and see how it can improve the world around us. We believe in the power of technology to make the world a better place, and we're committed to helping our clients use technology to achieve their goals. We've created globally competitive apps for clients across various sectors, including finance, insurance, health, transport, and entertainment. We collaborate with our clients and teams to solve problems in the best possible way, listening, investigating, and learning with a great amount of energy and empathy to create meaningful solutions.