Girl Effect in South Africa
Girl Effect has been present in South Africa for the last 7 years through its global digital brand ‘Springster,’ and its AI-powered chatbot for girls – ‘Big Sis.’
Springster was launched as a series of mobi-sites under the Facebook Free Basics program and later pivoted to social media. It has made girl-friendly content accessible to girls for free, reaching 6.1M users across the African continent.
Big Sis, Girl Effect’s chatbot in South Africa, offers girls a virtual friend to talk to about their health concerns and curiosities. Launched 3 years ago, Big Sis has scaled to 75,000 conversations, started over 1.2 messages sent/received, proven impact across behavioral drivers, and been shortlisted for multiple awards.
Campaigns run on the Springster and Big Sis ecosystem have also been able to successfully direct girls to services.
Girl Effect continues to invest in South Africa – we are launching new campaigns around sexual and reproductive health and mental well-being, connecting girls to services and expanding Big Sis’s AI models to understand the language young people use to express mental health and SRHR issues so that we may respond appropriately, timely, and efficiently at scale.
And now, we have a new opportunity to bring hope and inspiration to an entire generation of South African youth. We are building a national-scale youth brand that will help young South Africans to rise up and take charge of their dreams, take different actions and make informed choices about their sexual health and economic prospects.
Context of the role
In light of the above, Girl Effect is looking for someone to manage our social media channels – leading on social media strategy, coordination, management, and moderation for our campaigns and products. While we work with copywriters and designers as much as possible, the ability to write basic copy and use templates to quickly put together designs is also an important skill for this role.
The Social Media Manager will work closely with our content team, safeguarding team, and tech team to ensure the brand and products continue to reach girls and keep girls safe on our channels.
Roles and responsibilities
As a social media manager, you will work with our internal content team to plan, develop, implement, analyze and manage our social media portfolio in SA- across all our products and brands. You will be responsible for the following:
- Deploy social media strategies: Work with a copywriter and marketing team to develop and deploy social media strategies that will grow engagement and visibility for our brands. When necessary, adapt or put together basic copy or designs based on pre-existing templates.
- Rollout Calendar: You will work closely with the create team to understand production timelines and briefs to maintain an active, agile rollout calendar for Big Sis and the new brand’s social media accounts across Facebook, Tiktok, Instagram and Youtube. Content should be planned and scheduled for upload a minimum of one week in advance.
- Hygiene Management: Working closely with the Create team, you would regularly manage the hygiene on social media channels, ensuring sustainable grid design and identifying and implementing other best practices.
- Support with Content Ideation: You will be expected to stay updated about viral trends to feed into and suggest creative ideas for posts relevant to our brand & pages across different formats – stories, reels, memes, and other established content buckets.
- Templatized Designs: There will be content buckets with pre-existing post templates on canva. You will be expected to develop content ideas, curate these design posts, get approval from the product team, and post them regularly on Instagram/Facebook.
- Uploading & Scheduling: You will upload and/or schedule posts as well as post regular stories based on the calendar you have created with regular approval from the Create Lead, who will be in charge of the work you do
- Tracking Metrics: Tracking social media metrics across platforms for each post in the template that will be provided to you. You will be expected to work with the Marketing Lead to analyze these metrics and trends on a fortnightly basis and present your findings of best-performing assets to the create team, based on which new content will be planned
Audience Engagement:Occasionally you will need to support the team with tasks related to audience engagement activities like basic content creation,curation for IG Lives, support in Live Sessions, AMAs on our channels, among other things.
- Moderation: You will be required to diligently moderate comments, messages, and requests from our users to ensure that all our social media channels are safe and respectful spaces. You will work with our safeguarding team to flag and resolve any disclosures of abuse or harm from our users, suggest ways our safeguarding processes could be streamlined and improved, and work with the content, gender, and safeguarding team to manage and evolve a set of default or ‘canned’ responses to some of the most common questions we receive from girls on social, making sure that these responses are translated correctly, etc. This is a critical part of the work because our users can sometimes be in vulnerable and risky situations, and the highest standards of ethics and responsibility have to be maintained on our end. You will also be required to maintain a moderation log documenting and tracking sensitive disclosures from our users.
- Most importantly, we need you to ensure that you have a lens that is youth-friendly & fun, body and sex-positive, gender inclusive, trauma-informed, and adopts a rights-based approach towards girls and young women.
Who are we looking for
- Minimum 4 years experience of relevant digital marketing with accounts that have had national or multi-regional scale and complex audience sets
- Graduate-level proficiency in marketing, branding, design, or creative writing
- Comfortable with numbers, digital data sets like spreadsheets
- Degree or relevant experience in digital marketing, business, and project management.
- Strong understanding of digital marketing and social media.
- Interest in working in a developing country context.
- Strong communication, writing, coordination, and organizational skills.
- High attention to detail and ability to work under pressure and tight deadlines.
- Ability to remain flexible and find solutions to challenges.
- Positive, energetic, can-do attitude.
- Ability to work collaboratively in multicultural teams.
- Commitment to realizing the potential of girls and to the vision and values of Girl Effect
- Open to learning, for example, learning how to use Rapidpro or capturing learning to enhance digital products and pages
Attitudes we are looking for
- Comfortable with complex organizational structures and multiple stakeholders
- Comfortable with shared decision making
- A ‘do-er thinker’
- Enthusiastic about talking to and interacting with people across cultures and geographies – this role will require extensive conversations, presentations, documentation and fire-fighting
- Highly empathetic and context-sensitive – able to balance conflicting needs and priorities decisively
- Mission-driven and cares about making a difference in the lives of young people and vulnerable sections of society
- Nonjudgmental and unbiased towards gender and sexuality- able to respond to sensitive queries from users.
What else you should know
As we continue to scale and grow – we are hugely ambitious for our future, and we are looking for people who are driven to change the world for girls.
Our teams are a diverse mix across sectors (non-profit and commercial) and specialisms (from Brand and Creative through to Gender and Insight). You’ll learn and grow in an environment that will challenge you to think and work with a fresh perspective. In turn, you can expect to work somewhere where you will be stretched and developed in your role, a place where you can build your career and work with talented, engaged people committed to our cause.
Girl Effect is committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability, gender, gender identity, or expression. We are proud to be an equal-opportunity workplace.
We are committed to building an organization that is increasingly representative of the communities that we serve. To this end, due regard will be paid to recruiting candidates with diverse professional, academic, and cultural backgrounds.
This role is being recruited for on a 12-month contract basis.
Closing date for applications: 2nd October, 2023.
Social Media Manager & Moderator
Who we are Girl Effect is an international non-profit that builds media that girls want, trust, and need. From chatbots to chat shows and TV dramas to tech, our content is reaching millions of girls in Africa and Asia to make choices and changes in their lives. Igniting their confidence to act differently at a time that can define their future. We create safe spaces for girls, sharing facts and answering questions about health, nutrition, education, relationships, and so much more. And we use innovative technology so we can reach girls at scale. We are girls with the skills to negotiate and redefine what they are told is possible, so every girl can choose to be in control of her body, her health, her learning, and her livelihood. When a girl unlocks her power to make different choices that change her life, it inspires others to do so too. She starts a ripple effect that impacts her family, her community, and her country. That’s the Girl Effect.